Legal stuff

I am a Commonwealth Registered Marriage Celebrants and as such I am authorised by the Registrar of Celebrants of the Attorney-General’s Department, to legally solemnise marriages in Australia.
As a registered marriage celebrant, I am bound by a Code of Practice. Check it out here.
The legal requirements for couples marrying in Australia is comprehensively explained in the Notes section on page two of this document: Notice of Intended Marriage.

  • The legal requirements for marriage in Australia that must be attended to prior to your marriage include:
  • You must lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage with me at least one month prior to your big day (maximum 18 months);
  • You and your partner must provide me with evidence of their place and date of birth (eg; birth certificate);
  • If either or both of you have been previously married, you must show me evidence of your divorce, or if you are widowed, then you must provide me with evidence of the death of your previous spouse;
  • You both need to sign a declaration of no legal impediment to the marriage in my presence just pror to your wedding day (we usually do this at the rehearsal).

Births, Deaths and Marriages

If you were born in Australia and need to obtain a birth certificate, you will be able to purchase one from Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) in the state or territory of your birth. You will also be able to purchase a death certificate of a previous spouse at BDM. If you registered a change of name at the BDM you will need a copy of this document to show me prior to marriage. Finally, you will want to purchase a registered certificate of marriage from the BDM office in the state/territory where your marriage was solemnised. Here are links to all the BDM offices:

Other Important documents to your marriage includes: